In years past on July 4th across the United States, friends and families would gather in parks and yards, on decks and patios, poolside and beachside, to celebrate Independence Day and enjoy traditional July 4th dishes. With the coronavirus ever-present some people may opt-out of large gatherings that would have taken place and opt for smaller get-togethers. If you are looking to switch up your typical barbecue, burgers, and hotdogs for something unique, fun, and out-of-the-box, we have the perfect four-course meal for you. These recipes come straight out of Wineucation the Cookbook, written by our founder Jennifer McDonald. It can be purchased on our website or in the winery.
Broiled Scallops with Parmesan Crust
Wine Pairing: Apple Moments
Sea Scallops – 2 lbs
Butter – 2 tbsp
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Bread crumbs – ½ cup
Parmesan cheese – 2 tbsp
Parsley finely chopped – 1 tsp
Paprika – ¼ tsp
Black pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven.
- Dry the sea scallops and place them in a bowl.
- In a bowl, add olive oil and melted butter, mixing it all thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture over the scallops.
- Take the rest of the ingredients and place them in a separate bowl. Add the scallops.
- After coating the scallops in bread crumbs, place them on the top rack of the oven for 10 minutes.
Wine Pairing: Red Wine Blend
Beef fillet – 14 ounces
Arugula – 2
Parmesan – 1 tbsp
Sea salt – to taste
Black pepper – to taste
- Place parchment paper on the kitchen slab.
- Cut the beef into slices. Take each slice and place it onto the paper and top it with another sheet of parchment paper.
- Pound the beef until it’s evenly flattened.
- Place the arugula on a plate and take out the beef slices, placing them to your liking.
- Top it all with seasoning and parmesan.
Grilled Skirt Steak and Peaches with Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Wine Pairing: Blackberry Passion
Skirt steak – 1 ½ pound cut into 4 pieces
Garlic cloves – 2
Bay leaf – 1
Small shallot – 1
Jalapeno – 1
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
Thyme – ½ tsp
Canola oil – 1 cup and 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Ground pepper – to taste
Dijon mustard – 1 tbsp
Boiling water – ½ cup
Honey – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon – ½ tsp
Ginger – 1 ½ tsp
Peaches – 4
- Place the bay leaf, shallot, lemon juice, soy sauce, chopped thyme, and lemon zest in a blender. Blend the ingredients to perfection.
- Add half a cup of oil and keep the blender on until the mixture is smooth.
- Sprinkle seasoning on the mixture. Pour some of it onto a baking dish and place the steak on top of it.
- Spread some more of the mixture on the steak, and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Add Dijon mustard to the rest of the mixture, and blend it all.
- Using a small pot, add honey, grated ginger, and cinnamon to it. Mix it all well. Pour it into a medium-sized bowl along with the remaining ingredients.
- Remove the rest of the marinade from the skirt steak. Season the meat and grill it for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Grill the peach halves for 8 minutes, until they are charred and slightly squishy.
- With a sharp knife, slice the steak and carefully make wedges out of the peaches.
- Serve along with the dressing
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Wine Pairing: Union Station
Portobello mushrooms – 3
Canola oil – ¼ cup
Onion – 3 tbsp
Minced garlic cloves – 4
Balsamic vinegar – 4 tbsp
- Mix oil, chopped garlic, chopped onions, and vinegar in a bowl.
- Wash the mushrooms and place their caps on a plate. Remove the stems.
- Pour the mixture over the caps and allow them to sit for an hour.
- Heat a grill and place the mushroom caps on it for about 8-10 minutes.
- Keep grilling till they look brown and ready.
Lemon Blueberry Clafoutis
Wine Pairing: Apple Moments
Blueberries – 2 cups
Castor sugar– ½ cup and 3-4 tsp
Cubes of cream cheese– 4 ounces
All-purpose flour – ¼ cup
Vanilla – 1 tsp
Whole milk – ½ cup
Powdered sugar – 1 tbsp
Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine cubes of cream cheese, half a cup of caster sugar, flour, one egg, and vanilla with a mixer till it’s smooth and creamy.
- Add the rest of the eggs to the mixture as well. Blend till everything combines together. Pour in milk slowly while mixing at the same time.
- Butter dessert dishes and dust leftover castor sugar.
- Place half a cup of blueberries in each of the dishes. Add the batter to each dish, topping with some lemon zest.
- Bake for 20 minutes or till the desserts become golden. After removing, let them cool, and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.
There’s still time to purchase all your Jenny Dawn Cellars favorites for the holiday weekend.
Come see us at the Tasting Room Tuesdays through Saturdays, or shop online for local pickup or delivery where available.
We hope that everyone has a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July weekend!
About Jenny Dawn Cellars
Founded in 2016 by Jennifer McDonald, Jenny Dawn Cellars has grown from the dream of an at-home winemaker into Wichita’s first urban winery.
In 2017, Jenny Dawn Cellars established a working partnership with a wine facilitator in Napa, California. In 2019, Jenny Dawn Cellars opened a winery and tasting room in the heart of downtown Wichita located at Union Station. Jennifer now crafts and bottles her wines on-site, with grapes and juice sourced from the finest growers in California and Kansas.
As of June 2022, Jenny Dawn Cellars has 7 handcrafted wines.
Jenny Dawn Cellars winery and tasting room at Union Station offers charcuterie and small bites, venue rentals, private wine tastings, wine locker memberships, and Winuecation – a monthly educational class.
We’ve bottled the art of timing.
From the vine to the bottle – we craft our wine from grapes, fruit, and juice sourced from the finest growers in the nation.
From the bottle to the glass – that’s where you come in. When you open a bottle of Jenny Dawn Cellars wine, you open your moment, your reprieve from the business of busyness, and your time to bloom.
Jenny Dawn Cellars is inspired by the wildflowers in the Kansas countryside, inviting you to open up, enjoy the breeze, and show your colors to the world. Just like a flower, when Jenny Dawn Cellars wine is shared with someone special, it needs no further explanation – it’s a feeling that is simply understood.
Jenny Dawn Cellars – Let your moment begin.